Is Duality by Jeffrey Allen Worth It? My Verdict (2021 Review)
(This review contains affiliate links which means we earn a commission if you sign up — at no extra cost to you. However, it’s an honest review about my personal experience with Duality by Jeffrey Allen)
Duality by Jeffrey Allen is one of Mindvalley’s most popular courses.
But is it worth your time and money? Is energy work actually legit?
I completed the 8-week course last month. In this review, I’m going to tell you everything you need to know to make up your own mind.
I’ll reveal exactly what you can expect from the course as well as my own personal experience with it.
Spoiler alert: While Duality by Jeffrey Allen was a good experience for me, there are a few things about it you need to be aware of.
What is Duality by Jeffrey Allen?
Duality is an 8-week online program from Mindvalley based on getting to know your personal energetic system.
Your energetic system is essentially the part of you that goes beyond the physical body. I’ll dive into what this actually means in greater detail later in this review.
Jeffrey Allen refers to it as a “conscious energy” — one which this course claims we all have.
The duality program uses guided exercises and meditations to try and help you access this side of yourself.
The promise is that as you do, you will discover how to tap into your energy to get answers, attract synchronicities, and raise your vibration.
Why I wanted to do Duality by Jeffrey Allen.
I’ve always considered myself a pretty rational guy (and I still do).
But lately, I’ve come to realize that a certain level of prejudice I had towards “out there” concepts was actually keeping me closed off to things that could potentially benefit me.
This realization came about after taking another Mindvalley course, The Silva Ultramind System.
It pushed my comfort zone and introduced me to ideas like extrasensory perception (ESP), energy healing, and projecting your consciousness.
And although I still wasn’t sure what to make of it all, I was intrigued enough to want to try Duality for myself too.
I was also really interested in deepening my meditation experience, which is one of the big promises from this course.
So, I decided to dive into Duality by Jeffrey Allen and document my entire experience in this review.
Who is Jeffrey Allen?
“We live in a time of great change on the planet. Old stuck energies are releasing on both personal and global levels, and beautiful new possibilities are emerging. As with any storm, the best place to be is in the center — in the eye of the storm.”
— Jeffrey Allen
Jeffrey Allen is one of the world’s leading voices in energy work.
One of the more surprising things I discovered about him was that before his energy healing career he was a successful software engineer by trade.
Although highly paid, he ultimately felt unfulfilled. An unfulfilling career is probably a story many of us can relate to.
Always having had an interest in spirituality he finally took a leap of faith into the world of healing back in 2005.
Over the last 16 years, he has counseled thousands of private clients, led hundreds of workshops, and founded a clairvoyant school in Japan.
What is Mindvalley?
Before going any further, let’s quickly look at what Mindvalley is.
I’ve taken 7 of their courses now over the last two years, so they were already familiar to me. But if the platform is new to you, then here is what you need to know.
Mindvalley is one of the leading providers of online personal development content.
There’s a wide range of courses (which on the site they call “quests”) to choose from depending on your goals and interests.
You’ll find programs on everything from body, mind, and soul, to those focusing on your career, entrepreneurship, relationships, and more. A few of their other popular courses include:
- Superbrain and Super Reading by Jim Kwik
- Lifebook by Jon & Missy Butcher
- Money EQ by Ken Honda
- Wildfit by Eric Edmeades
You can buy just one individual program, with prices typically ranging from $300-500.
You can also purchase an annual membership which can be a money saver if you plan to take more than one course.
My results from taking the course
Below I’m going to fully dive into what you can expect when taking the Duality program.
But first I’m going to touch on my own results. Because I know that when I’m searching for reviews, that’s one of the most important things I want to know — does it actually work?
After completing the Duality course over two months, I started to feel calmer and more conscious of my energy.
What I mean by that is I thought twice about how I use my energy and whenever I give it to people or things that really don’t deserve it.
I also felt like I could protect my energy more. Things that would have annoyed me and I’d normally lose my cool didn’t seem to bother me as much.
You know, little things like someone cutting you off in traffic or the long line in the grocery store.
I’m not sure if that’s because I really learned how to control my energetic system or just because I felt more chilled out.
But what I discovered was a lot of the negative energy I’d previously been creating and then holding on to was totally exhausting.
Anyone who has ever experienced stress will tell you how much your physical body really does get affected by your mind.
Making a conscious decision to let go of this energy and having some practical tools to help me do that made a big difference.
What’s taking Duality really like?
This 8-week program has been created from Duality Live Energy Coaching and Clearing Sessions.
As an overview of the course material, you can expect a combo of guided exercises and meditations, along with real-life applications.
Each week tackles a different energetic topic.
- Week 1: Energy awareness — with the focus on understanding your energy and how it affects daily life.
- Week 2: Mental clarity — Centers around unblocking energy that keeps you stuck to find greater clarity.
- Week 3: Healing and energizing your body — Using your own natural energy to boost your immune system.
- Week 4: Energetic boundaries — Understanding your own energy boundaries and how to protect yourself from negative energy.
- Week 5: Chakra healing — Understanding energy centers in the body, traditionally known as chakras, to help keep “positive” energy flowing.
- Week 6: Changing your beliefs — Shifting stuck energy and understanding how your beliefs shape your entire life.
- Week 7: Intuition — What exactly intuition is and how you can access it for greater self-guidance.
- Week 8: Higher Awareness — Trusting yourself more, knowing yourself better, and trying to tap into your “highest self”.
What is our “energy system”?
The reason the course is called Duality is that Jeffrey Allen suggests we have two selves living in two interconnected worlds, one of energy and one of form.
So, there’s the physical self and the energetic self.
As you’d imagine, the physical self is the body you can see and the energetic body or “aura” is invisible.
But according to the program, this energy field is something we carry with us and affects our lives. When we don’t take care of it properly, we feel drained and disconnected.
The main drive behind this course is that everything in the universe is energy, and the more we ignore this fact the more neglected our own energy becomes.
In the Mindvalley marketing for Duality, you are shown a photo of this energy around the body, which is a method called Kirlian Photography.
I think it’s important to point out that currently there isn’t any scientific evidence proving the existence of any energetic field surrounding us.
One study in 1976 suggested that photos that claim to capture this colorful aura could be down to moisture content on the surface of and within the living tissue.
But other scientists have argued that an energetic system does exist and that current ineffective methods of trying to measure or observe it are the problem.
Nevertheless, forms of energy work have existed for centuries. Perhaps one of the most famous is Reiki, which originated in Japan.
It’s based on the belief a person can release energy from themselves to facilitate healing in others.
Alternative treatments like Reiki have become more mainstream and have even been offered to patients by some national health services around the world. But results studying its effectiveness have always proved inconclusive.
It’s fair to say that science can’t offer any concrete answers. But that certainly doesn’t mean energy healing is something that can be easily dismissed either.
A typical lesson from Duality
To dive a bit deeper, I’m going to summarise one of the lessons from week 6 on changing your beliefs (which was my favorite week).
Lesson 40 was all about exercises for conscious beliefs.
We were given a couple of exercises that were actually really simple and essentially helped me to cultivate more awareness of myself and the people around me.
The first exercise asked you when you wake up, to reflect for a moment to notice what you expect to happen during the day.
We then used guided meditation to clear away these mental pictures that we create to try to be open to whatever will happen during the day.
The second exercise was people-watching. We were asked to pay attention to others and notice what we thought about them, and even making up stories about them.
The aim then was to get introspective about where these ideas and beliefs come from within us, before being encouraged to let them all go.
You might call this energy work, but to me, these exercises could just as easily be called cultivating self-awareness and letting go of harmful expectations.
How much does Duality by Jeffrey Allen cost?
If you’re anything like me, the price is usually a big factor when deciding whether something is worth it.
To buy Duality as an individual course on Mindvalley costs $349 — hardly pocket change.
But you do get a lot for that money, including lifetime access to the program so you can repeat it as much as you want.
The 8-week program (which has 16 hours of training) includes a complete curriculum of tools, meditations, and exercises.
On top of that, there are bonuses like Q+A audios with Jeffrey Allen, an energy healing guide, and downloadable MP3 audios for each meditation session.
Before deciding to buy any individual quest on Mindvalley I always recommend that people check out other courses they might be interested in too.
That’s because the Mindvalley membership works out as a much cheaper option for most people.
With the membership, you get access to pretty much the entire online catalog of courses for an entire year.
At the time of writing this, you can buy this for $499 — not much more than it costs to get Duality on its own.
If you’re interested in checking out the Mindvalley Membership, get the discounted price by clicking this link.
Mindvalley All Access Membership Sale
Get unlimited access to every Mindvalley program. Big discounts available for a limited time.
Who is it a good fit for and who won’t like it?
Duality by Jeffrey Allen is definitely not for everyone.
I’d say the key to getting something positive out of Duality is to have an open mind.
If you are a hardline skeptic, Jeffrey Allen is probably not going to change your mind as this isn’t widely scientifically accepted stuff. So, if you can’t look beyond that, I’d say it’s unlikely to work.
If you have a strong spiritual side and already believe in concepts like chakras, spirit guides, intuition, auras, etc. I think you will love this course.
Similarly, if you feel very sensitive to energy in your life and you want to learn tools to better control it, I think you’ll enjoy this program. For example, if you’re very empathetic and find yourself absorbing a lot of other people’s painful or negative energy.
But even if, like me, you’re a little bit unsure of what to make of the idea of energy work, if you can keep an open mind, then I think you’ll find this topic fascinating.
There’s a lot more to life and our own bodies than we currently understand. That’s a fact.
I’d say this course is ultimately a good fit for anyone curious about new ways to connect with themselves and the rest of the world.
The pro’s and con’s of Duality
Here is what I liked most about the course.
- I received an immediate boost from taking it. Okay, I wouldn’t say that course was life-changing or anything (few online courses actually are), but as I explained above, I found myself releasing a lot of negative energy I never even knew I was carrying around. I’ve become calmer and more able to focus on things I find important in life.
- The workbooks included helpful notes and diagrams to follow. I found this a useful resource to be able to refer to with so much information to absorb during the program. It’s also good for people who learn better by seeing things written down.
- Jeffrey Allen is a likable guy. He’s calm to watch, which makes the videos engaging and helped keep my interest.
- I especially enjoyed the sections on unhealthy self-limiting beliefs towards the end of the course. Regardless of your thoughts on energy work, learning more about these habits and patterns we all have in life is hugely beneficial. All of us have strong unconscious conditioning. Learning how to shift unhelpful conditioning can create huge changes to how you feel, and ultimately to how you act and the results you see in life.
- The guided meditations were soothing. The fact that they were quite short (between 5-10 minutes) meant they were an easy but positive addition to my day.
While I got a lot out of Duality by Jeffrey Allen and I’m glad I took the plunge into it, there are several things about the course I didn’t like.
- Energy work is not a scientifically backed field. I’ve touched upon what the scientific world has to say about energy work already. Of course, something not being scientifically recognized does not mean it does not exist or is not valid. But it’s important to be aware, and I’d always recommend doing your own research if this is a big issue for you.
- How does some become an “expert” in this? Because of the nature of energy work, Jeffrey Allen doesn’t really have what some would call “real” qualifications. He does have plenty of practical experience though including two courses (Duality and Unlocking Transcendence) and has hosted workshops and seminars across the world.
- Departure from Mindvalley’s “micro-learning” approach. Because this course has been created from live training Jeffrey Allen gave, the lessons are structured slightly differently from normal Mindvalley programs. Usually, Mindvalley adopts a micro-learning method, breaking things down into short 20-minute daily lessons. Duality lessons were sometimes longer than that. For example, lesson one had 3 separate videos to watch totaling around an hour of work. This is a con for me as I like the short daily learning.
Is Duality by Jeffrey Allen worth it? My Verdict
As I’ve already said, you firmly believe that energy work is nonsense, this is not the course for you.
I’d say most other people can get a lot out of Duality by Jeffrey Allen.
Do I firmly believe in everything I learned about? No.
But did I enjoy taking this course and find it valuable? Absolutely.
I genuinely enjoy learning. and for me, that means having an open mind to new things. Personally, I’ve found growth isn’t really possible without it.
That’s why I’m glad I managed to open myself up to the teachings in Duality.
As well as feeling more stable and calm overall in my energy, I also learned some interesting new ideas.
That’s why even though I am still undecided on what I believe about the concept of energy work, I would still happily recommend the course.